12.23.09: Funkadelic Freestyles' Top 10 Mixtapes of 2009


Image Hosting by imagefra.me

As we approach the end of 2009 [and the end of the decade], I've decided to put together NINE comprehensive lists based on specific categories (best albums, songs, artists, etc) to judge the big winners in hip-hop and R&B over the past twelve months. From December 23rd to the 31st, I'll be revealing a new Top 10 list each day. The choices are purely based on MY opinion, and the results DO NOT reflect the opinions of my cohosts. You'll see the title of each list and the day of their arrivals on the right side of this page.

Today I present my Top 10 Mixtapes of 2009. While the term "mixtape" has been significantly altered throughout the 2000s, I've done my best to pick projects that best represent the modern definition. As the next week goes on, I will start to get more thorough in explaining my picks. However, I'll just add a FEW notes to my mixtape picks, along with links to each project.


10. Rappers I Know x Funkadelic Freestyles Present – Volume I: The Offseason: To be fair, I put my own projects at #10 and #5. The Offseason was a special compilation - our first official mixtape - with new and exclusive tracks from Danny Brown, Oddisee, Trackademicks, and many more.

9. K-Beta & DJ Alizay – 89 to 09: These DC natives - Beta the emcee and Alizay the DJ - picked memorable instrumentals from each year over a span of twenty with original rhymes and seamless mixing.

8. Drake – So Far Gone: How could I leave out the most popular rapper in North America?

7. X.O. - Realmatic: X.O., one-third of Diamond District, brought a renewed excitement to the DC streets with his March release. Bonus points for including his Wale-assisted "Rid'n (Remix)."

6. Elzhi – The Leftovers Unmixedtape: The Detroit native runs through some of his biggest underground hits with top-notch production from Jake One, Black Milk, and DJ Spinna.

5. Rappers I Know x Funkadelic Freestyles Present – Volume II: Back In The Game: Why was it better than Volume I? Because of even bigger exclusives from Blu, Zion I, Kokayi, Panacea, and more.

4. Wale – Back To The Feature: While his debut album Attention: Deficit was his finest work of 2009, this feature-heavy mixtape was impressive on paper and in the headphones.

3. Blu – HerFavoriteColo(u)r: I was SO close to leaving out Blu's special-release mixtape, until I noticed my homie Andres' post on OKP. Although not a "classic," Blu continues to prove his skills as both a producer and emcee - on a FREE project!

2. Phil Ade – Starting On JV: Although I didn't realize his talent at first, Phil Ade's debut mixtape got better and better with each listen. What's most impressive? He only needed ONE assist - his boss Raheem DeVaughn on the anthem "Flyer Than The Rest."

1. J. Cole – The Warm Up: With an extremely boring summer job, I had plenty of time to listen to music and podcasts. My most-played project: J. Cole's stunning second mixtape with the memorable single, "Lights Please." Don't forget, The Warm Up was quite the launching pad for the Roc Nation signee.

No comments:

Post a Comment