12.31.09: Funkadelic Freestyles' Top 10 Songs of 2009


Image Hosting by imagefra.me

Yeah, my nine Top 10 lists of 2009 fell apart, miserably. I got my wisdom teeth removed about a week ago, and turned out to have more pain than I expected (ever had a blood blister in your mouth? I didn't think so). However, I'm still putting out these last two lists: top songs and top albums of the year. Here's my Top 10 Hip Hop Songs of 2009 (solely my opinion)...enjoy your new year.


10. Spank Pops - Beautiful Noise [prod. Doctor J]: My wild card pick. Featured on Vol I: The Offseason and on the Bay Area native's 2009 EP Beautiful Noise, entirely produced by Doctor J. These two guys are next up on the west coast.

9. Brother Ali - Us (feat. Stokely Williams) [prod. Brother Ali & Ant]: Just to be clear - I'm referencing the video edit rather than the album cut, as the latter just isn't as epic (no build-up). Probably the best album outro of the year.

8. Shafiq Husayn - Major Heavy [feat. Count Bass D]: I can't thank my brother Andres enough for putting me on early...Shafiq's album was a audio trip! "Major Heavy" stands out to me as the best track off the LP, featuring the indie favorite Count Bass D with eerie (and effective) vocals.

7. Royce Da 5'9" - Something 2 Ride 2 (feat. Phonte) [prod. DJ Premier]: While Royce's 2009 release Street Hop was overall average, this DJ Premier-produced cut was one of my most played of the year. My only complaint: what happened to that rumored Phonte rap remix?!

6. Mos Def - Auditorium (feat. Slick Rick) [prod. Madlib]: I actually heard this song for the first time in 2008, when Mos performed it live with the Robert Glasper Band (!) at the Kennedy Center in DC. Who knew the Ruler still got it?

5. Wale - Pretty Girls (feat. Gucci Mane & Weensy of BYB) [prod. Best Kept Secret]: Although I prefer the Gucci-less version (and I wish Black Thought would RECORD his remix verse), "Pretty Girls" was the no-nonsense HIT of the year. I understand that there's a video on the way, so let's hope this record reaches a larger audience in 2010.

4. Clipse - Popular Demand (feat. Cam'ron) [prod. The Neptunes]: Featuring arguably the best rap hook of 2009, "Popular Demand" was a tremendous single for the Thornton brothers. Even the video lived up to the hype!

3. Fashawn - Samsonite Man (feat. Blu) [prod. Exile]: You can read why this is one of my favorite beats of the year over at Metal Lungies (sup Boris!), and here's where I tell you why the rapping's good: Blu killed this (as did Fashawn) and his verse might just be the best rap verse of the year.

2. Diamond District - In The Ruff [prod. Oddisee]: For some reason, folks tend to overlook the title track off the DC trio's debut LP, In The Ruff. Perhaps it's because the song is so fast-paced, you missed what the emcees were saying? Deepest rap cut (no Ross) of the year.

1. Jay Electronica - Exhibit C [prod. Just Blaze]: If you haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet (I got my ticket in 07, so shaddup), you're losing. Not only the best hip hop track of 2009, but in my top 10 for the decade. Thank goodness Act II is days away...

No comments:

Post a Comment