VIDEO: Janelle Monae on KUBE 93's Sound Session



Seeing this in the morning was just what I needed. DJ Hyphen + Janelle Monae (and J. Moore, who I'm not familiar with). It reminded me that I've generally ignored Ms. Monae as far as the blog goes, so here we go. 

I first heard about Janelle Monae when she was featured on Outkast's Idlewild soundtrack, specifically on a song called "In Your Dreams." After I used it up as my ringtone, I regretfully let Janelle off my radar. But near the end of 2007, the news broke that she had signed on with Bad Boy Records (yes, THE Bad Boy) via her own recording label, The Wondaland Arts Society. When I was introduced to her solo material, it was no surprise that the sounds were really out there. Her first release on Bad Boy, Metropolis: The Chase Suite (which I'm currently holding in my hands), takes place in the year 2719 and is incredibly unique, much like her own voice. Janelle's fictional alter-ego, Cindi Mayweather, is a android who has fallen in love with a human - something that is forbidden under THE RULES (a set of laws that decree that, above all things, androids shall never know love). 

To keep things short, here's two songs from Metropolis: The Chase Suite and a bonus mp3, "In Your Dreams (feat. Outkast & Killer Mike)." And I urge you to go out and buy the EP, especially since I copped it for a mere $4.99. 


No comments:

Post a Comment